||Program Assistant - Hargeisa
If you are qualified Somali and looking for a chance to make a real difference in the lives of vulnerable Somali children while gaining opportunities for career growth, you are invited to apply for the post of Programme Assistant with UNICEF Hargeisa, to be based in Hargeisa with occasional travel to project locations around Somaliland.
Title: Program Assistant
Category and Grade Level: General Service (GS-6)
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Length of Contract: One year
Organization Unit: Program Monitoring & Evaluation Unit
Duty Station: Hargeisa
Date of Issue: 09 May 2013
Closing date of Application: 23 May 2013
The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic and passionate team in Somaliland that works together to improve the health, nutrition, water, sanitation, hygiene, and basic education of Somali girls and boys and protect them from violence, exploitation and abuse.
Purpose of the Post
Under the supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, the incumbent will provide overall administrative programme support to the Program Monitoring & Evaluation unit by performing a variety of tasks related to information gathering, monitoring, recording and reporting.
The successful candidates will be offered a Fixed Term Appointment for one year. Further extensions will be based on organizational needs, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Major duties and responsibilities
- Assist in the compilation, preparation and submission of monthly, querterly/semi annually and annual program reviews, and follow up on reporting deadlines. Assist in updating PME QZIP on quarterly basis. Compile and produce integrated travel plan of the office at the beginning of each month.
- Organizes data and information, prepares and maintains records, documents and control plans for the monitoring of project/programme implementation. Contributes to the preparation of reports, project documents and submissions to governments by providing information, preparing tables and drafting relatively routine sections. Prepares background information for use in discussions with governments and other organization.
- Review all office trip reports and related documents by section and submit their summary for presentation at the monthly management meetings.
- Collect, register and maintain records and reports and prepare periodic and ad hoc reports pertaining to the different sectors of the program. Organize data and information, prepare and maintain records, documents and control plans for the monitoring of project/programme implementation.
- Responsible for the organization of workshops, seminars and other training events including PM&E unit.
- May be required to carry out specific administrative operational/control tasks for project/programme activities. Performs typing and filing functions, in support of functional area of assignment.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies
Six years of progressively responsible administrative work, of which at least one year is closely related to administrative support to programme activities.
- Completion of secondary school education preferably supplemented with diploma or university course/training in a field related to the work of the organization.
- Proficiency in computer applications like word processing, spreadsheets, graphics etc.
- Ability to analyze figures and technical data.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work is required.
- Skills in report writing and presentation skills will be needed.
- Possession of excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Fluency in both written and oral English is mandatory.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications with updated UN Personal History Form (P.11), updated CV, copies of academic certificates to one of the following addresses. UN staff are requested to provide at least two Performance Evaluation Reports (PERs). Please quote the vacancy number in your application.
Human Resources Officer
Vacancy No HARSOM/2013/001
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that documents submitted along with your applicationswill not be returned. Ensure you send copies of your testimonials.
Download the Vacancy Announcement [PDF]
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
UNICEF IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT